- The Nigerian Army has disowned a Gofundme account urging contributions for soldiers fighting insurgents in the northeast
- Army spokesman Brigadier-General SK Usman says there are no hungry or ill-equipped troops on the war front and so the contribuion is a fraud
- Usman said the creator Dr. Brimah is a criminal who is trying to scam unsuspecting Nigerians and others worldwide
The Nigerian Army has warned concerned citizens and other people worldwide to be careful about a fraudulent contribution set up for allegedly hungry and ill-equipped soldiers fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast.
Army spokesman Brigadier-General Sani Usman Kukasheka said in a statement released in the early hours of Wednesday, January 2 that people should be wary about putting money into the contribution which has a Gofundme account.
According to him, Nigerian soldiers are not hungry or in need of weapons as suggested by the creator of the contribution Dr. Perry Brimah.
READ ALSO: 2019: Buhari’s New Year speech shows he has conceded defeat - PDP
The statement read: "The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a fraudulent and criminal fund raising by one Doctor Perry Brimah, a Nigerian in diaspora, tagged "Global Campaign To Provide Food For Nigerian Soldiers Fighting Boko Haram".
"The criminal embarked on this fund raising venture ostensibly to defraud unsuspecting members of the public especially the international community to fund subversive activities and personal life style. The criminal is using the following contact points for the fund raising;
"We wish to state that the Nigerian soldiers deployed in the North East or elsewhere, neither lack logistics nor food as the fraudster wants unsuspecting members of the public to believe. The Nigerian Army never faltered in providing necessary logistics to troops to the extent of providing extras especially during festive periods.
READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda
"Therefore, this move by Doctor Brimah is nothing but a scam as there is nowhere in the world where troops were fed through donations by members of the public.
"We would like to further state that there has never been complaints of lack of food by soldiers talk-less of starvation. The so called Dr Perry Brimah or his agents do not represent the Nigerian Army or her soldiers. Whoever believes and falls victim to this criminal act does so at his or her own risk.
"In addition, the Nigerian Army in conjunction with the Interpol are working hard to declare him wanted and extradite the International fraudster to face justice. Therefore, we request the general public for any information on the whereabouts of this fraudster."
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
This comes just days after Legit.ng reported that the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 said some elements had been making efforts to bring disaffection among troops and officers through false information and claims on the social media.
Speaking at a Christmas luncheon for the Nigerian Army troops under the Operation Lafiya Dole at Delwa in Konduga local government area of Borno said that there many elements in the country who did not wish it well.
The Army Chief also vowed that the army would not allow it as it was doing its best for the country and the army loved its soldiers and would never toy with their welfare.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better
Primate Ayodele releases 2019 prophecies, says B/Haram will infiltrate the army - on Legit TV
Source: Legit.ng
