Wednesday 12 December 2018

Peace accord: Abdulsalami Abubakar counters Atiku, says all presidential candidates were invited

- Abdulsalami Abubakar said all presidential candidates were invited to the signing of peace accord ahead of 2019

- The PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, and some other candidates were absent at the event, claiming they were not invited

- However, Abdulsalami countered them, saying they were all invited and added that there is still room for the candidates to sign the accord

A former head of state and chairman of the National Peace Committee, Abdulsalami Abubakar, has that the committee invited all political parties to the peace accord signing by presidential candidates ahead of the 2019 elections on Tuesday, December 11.

This is contrary to the claim by the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, that he was not invited to the event.

Premium Times reports that Atiku and other presidential candidates such as Omoyele Sowore of the AAC, and Oby Ezekwesili of ACPN had all said they were not invited.

READ ALSO: Just in: Why I did not attend signing of peace accord with Buhari, others - Atiku

However, in a short interview with journalists at the International Conference Centre, Abuja, venue of the event, Abubakar insisted that all the candidates were invited.

Specifically reacting to Atiku’s claim, Abubakar said: “You have seen the number of parties that have been invited. He will answer for himself but speaking for the National Peace Committee, everybody was invited. What reasons do we have not to invite somebody? This accord was for all political parties to sign to be of goodwill and good behaviour during elections. If there is a breakdown of communications somewhere I don’t know."

Abubakar mentioned that he was surprised by Atiku’s absence.

“What surprises me is that when we had the conference with the political parties he came out and agreed on this agenda, the parties agreed and it was the recommendation that the peace committee has taken,” he said.

The former head of state, however, expressed confidence that Atiku’s absence at the event will not weaken the accord. He added that there is still room for the absent candidates to sign the peace accord.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Abdulsalami praised ex-president Goodluck Jonathan for bringing peace to the country by conceding defeat in the 2015 presidential election that brought President Muhammadu Buhari to power.

According to the former military head of state, the nation could not thank Jonathan enough for conceding the defeat even before the announcement of the presidential election result.

Abdulsalami stated this on Tuesday, November 20, at the public presentation of Jonathan's book, titled My Transition Hours.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Between Buhari’s Next Level And Atikulate - Nigerians React| Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng



Related Posts

Peace accord: Abdulsalami Abubakar counters Atiku, says all presidential candidates were invited
4/ 5
Oleh

Subscribe via email

Like the post above? Please subscribe to the latest posts directly via email.