Saturday 1 September 2018

Gambian woman empowers women by making fashion items from plastic

- A Gambian woman, Isatou Ceesay, makes fashion items using plastic

- She revealed that she has empowered thousands of women with her craft

- Isatou also encouraged people to not lose focus

A Gambian woman, identified as Isatou Ceesay, has revealed how she empowers women and makes fashion items from plastic in a recent interview with BBC.

Isatou explained that she feels happy to have touched many lives with her craft and that she was inspired to start the business because she looked at her environment and noticed what was deficient.

She said:

“If you look at this purse, how many lives this purse (has) saved, it’s so beautiful, that’s what motivated me every day to work with the women, because they are so talented and so committed.

“The idea of recycling came to me when I was very young and I looked at the environment where I live, in my community, and I see that people don’t have ideas of taking care of their waste, and I feel like it should be my contribution.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Nigeria

Woman makes living from turning plastic to fashion items (video)

Isatou Ceesay holding one of her purses made from plastic Photo source: BBC
Source: Depositphotos

She further explained that she initially had a tough time making people aware of her craft, but that she is now better off as she works with thousands of women.

READ ALSO: Woman loses brother to brutal treatment meted by church security personnel

“The challenge that I was really facing at the time was people were really not aware of what I was talking about because it was very new for them and they were thinking that the idea was not very important.

“I was alone with the project but today I’m working with more than 11,000 people.”

Finally, Isatou encouraged people to remain focused and follow their dreams.

“What’s important is your destination and your focus”, she said.

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com recently reported that writer and feminist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie revealed that she wears outfits from Nigerian designers to events to help promote them.

Chimamanda usually attends high profile events, and she usually looks stunning.

How I make a living by recycling waste products | Naij.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng



Related Posts

Gambian woman empowers women by making fashion items from plastic
4/ 5
Oleh

Subscribe via email

Like the post above? Please subscribe to the latest posts directly via email.